Exeter Civic Society

Exeter Civic Society

Blue Plaques News

Also in the plaques section: the Blue Plaques scheme, plaques and monuments listing, plaques news archive, making a blue plaque.

Dr Charles Newton Lovely: Exeter housing old and new

On Friday 1stFebruary 2019 members of the Society braved the snowy weather to attend the unveiling of a blue plaque commemorating Dr Charles Newton Lovely. Dr Lovely was an Exeter GP and was the founding chairman of the Exeter Workmen’s Dwellings Company. The ceremony took place at Kings Dwellings, King Street, Exeter, which was one of the properties built by the Company.

 

The plaque was unveiled by one of Dr Lovely’s grandsons, Richard Holladay. Mr Holladay gave a most interesting talk about his grandfather at one of the Society’s open mornings in 2018, and has done much to raise awareness of his grandfather’s achievements.

 

After a brief ceremony beneath the plaque, the group moved to the warmth of the offices of Cornerstone Housing, the present owner of Kings Dwellings, and successor to the EWDC. Items from the Cornerstone archive relating to the Company’s origins and the building of Kings Dwellings were on display, including the original plans for the flats alongside plans of its latest refurbishment, completed in 2012.

Cornerstone kindly provided hot drinks and a wonderful blue plaque replica cake, which was ceremonially cut by Richard Holladay before being distributed to those present.

We learned more about Dr Lovely’s life and work from Richard Holladay, following which we heard from Rick Williams, Cornerstone’s Chief Executive, about the later development of the Company into its present existence as Cornerstone Housing, Exeter’s largest independent housing association.

Dr Lovely first worked in Exeter as a resident medical officer at one of the Voluntary Aid hospitals in the city during the First World War. In 1920 he and his family moved permanently to Exeter, and he worked in general practice from his home in Magdalen Road. Through his work, Dr Lovely became concerned about poor state of housing in which many of his patients lived, especially in the west quarter of Exeter.

Although Exeter City Council was carrying out a programme of slum-clearance, the new homes that it built were too expensive for some of the poorest people. Dr Lovely was determined to do something about this, and conceived the idea of establishing a philanthropic association to build homes to let at a lower rent while still providing a decent standard of accommodation. He persuaded others to join him, and in 1926 The Exeter Workmen’s Dwellings Association (later Company) Ltd was founded. Dr Lovely was its Chairman from the beginning until his retirement in 1936.

The Company built homes across the City, including in Looe Road, Clayton Road, Wykes Road, Fords Road, Mildmay Close and Beacon Avenue, as well as King Street. King’s Dwellings was completed by the EWDC in 1933, in King Street, at the top of Stepcote Hill, once the site of notorious slums. A grand opening ceremony for the flats took place on September 12th 1933, performed by Miss Violet Wills, a local philanthropist who was one of the directors of the EWDC.

Dr Lovely was an active chairman of the Company, constantly campaigning for better housing, and against what he saw as bureaucracy and foot-dragging, particularly by the City Council. As well as his full time occupation as a GP, and his work for slum clearance, he worked as a prison doctor, was involved with the British Red Cross, and was a Divisional Surgeon with St John’s Ambulance.

After his retirement, the EWDC continued its work. In 1954 it gained charitable status and was renamed Exeter Housing Society. In 2008 it acquired its current name, Cornerstone Housing. Cornerstone has expanded its housing stock from the 550 plus units built by the EWDC to over 1300 today, with more being added each year. Some of its recent schemes have included rent-to-buy and shared ownership. It now has properties outside Exeter, in Teignbridge, Mid-Devon and East Devon. But it remains a locally-based housing association, and prides itself on having its own in-house team of tradesmen to do conversion and maintenance work.

Kings Dwellings was last upgraded in 2012. A new façade on the King St frontage has provided extra space for modern facilities, as well as giving it a less austere appearance. It still provides, as originally intended, homes that are convenient for people employed in the centre of the City.

For more information about Cornerstone Housing, see www.cornerstonehousing.net.

For more information about Dr Lovely, see http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_people/lovely.php

The Society is grateful to Mr Holladay, his family, and others, for generously sponsoring the plaque, and to Cornerstone Housing for installing it and hosting its unveiling.

Mary the Pigeon Commemorated

On 20th January 2018 a good crowd gathered in West Street to see the unveiling of a blue plaque commemorating Mary the Second World War carrier pigeon and her trainer, Cecil “Charlie” Brewer.

Present were descendants of Charlie Brewer, Civic Society members, representatives of the PDSA, and members of a Heritage Lottery funded project for young people run by the Double Elephant Print Workshop in Exeter. Sir Michael Morpurgo led the countdown to the unveiling, which was carried out with panache by members of the Double Elephant project.

The event continued at the Picturehouse Cinema, with refreshments and an exhibition about Mary and Charlie Brewer which included Mary’s Dickin medal and Charlie’s special constable uniform. Along with the speeches, Sir Michael Morpurgo gave a reading of his pigeon story “All I Said Was”.

 

Cecil ‘Charlie’ Brewer of 6 West Street, Exeter, and his prized homing pigeon Mary of Exeter were part of the National Pigeon Service in the 1940s. Mary was dropped behind enemy lines and repeatedly attacked by gunfire and once badly injured by a hawk as she carried top-secret messages back to her loft in West Street.

Charlie Brewer and Mary of Exeter

Wounded three times in all and on one occasion missing for ten days, Mary was nursed back to action by her owner who used his skills as a craftsman bootmaker to stitch up her wounds. He also made her a small leather neck support because of her injuries. At the end of the war Mary was awarded the Dickin Medal for gallantry, the highest animal award for bravery.

Mr Brewer was born in Church Lane, St Thomas, in 1895. Named Cecil, he preferred to be known as Charlie. He was apprenticed as a bootmaker at the age of 15 with the firm of J Roberts and Sons in Paris Street, Exeter. In 1922, the year of his marriage, he and his wife Ena moved to 6 (then 58) West Street where Charlie set up his workshop and bred and trained homing pigeons. He was made a Special Constable in 1941 with responsibility for general control of war pigeons in the area and decorated in 1945 for war services.

Mary of Exeter died in 1950 and is buried with other animal heroes in the PDSA Pet Cemetery in Ilford, Essex. She is commemorated in Northernhay Gardens, Exeter, as well as in the mosaic under the Exeter St Thomas railway bridge and on the animals war memorial in Hyde Park.

Charlie Brewer died in 1985, aged 90.

 

Earlier plaques news items

See the news archive for earlier Civic Society events relating to blue plaques and other historical monuments and inscriptions.